HISTORY

The name of Universitas Kotapraja Malang was changed to Brawijaya University by the President of the Republic of Indonesia via telegraph number of 256/K/1961 on the 11th of July 1961. At that time, Brawijaya University was a private university. The status was changed to public university since the 5th of January 1963. Therefore, the 5th of January are chosen to be the anniversary of the Brawijaya University. Soon after the status change, Faculty of Engineering was established by the Ministry of Higher Education and Science on the 23rd of October 1963 including the Department of Mechanical Engineering.

In 1984, the Department of Mechanical Engineering of Brawijaya University (UB), together with the Department of Mechanical Engineering of Bandung Institute of Technology (ITB), 10 November Institute of Technology Surabaya (ITS), Indonesia University (UI), and Gadjah Mada University (UGM) are given a mission by the Government to promote the number of engineering graduates to fulfill the demand of increased number of industries for national development.

In 2002, the Master Program of Mechanical Engineering was established which was managed under the Brawijaya Postgraduate Program.

In 2008, the Doctoral Program of the Department of Mechanical Engineering was established with decision letter from the Directorate General of Higher Education, the Ministry of Culture and Education, “SK DIKTI no 1665/D/T/2008” and  managed under the Postgraduate Program of the Faculty of Engineering.  And since 2013, the Doctoral Program of the Department of Mechanical Engineering was fully organized by the Department of Mechanical Engineering of Brawijaya University.